International Conference on Vernacular Architecture
CIAV2013 | 7ºATP | VerSus - 16-20 of October 2013
Vila Nova Cerveira » PORTUGAL
Escola Superior Gallaecia and ICOMOS-Scientific Committee on Vernacular Architecture have the pleasure to invite you to participate on the Vernacular Architecture International Conference CIAV2013 | 7ºATP | VerSus, which will take place in Vila Nova de Cerveira, Portugal, from the 16th to the 20th of October 2013. The conference will be a unique chance to gather experts and to incentive exchange from two relevant disciplinary areas: earthen architecture and vernacular heritage.
The international conference is organised under the Aegis of the Chaire UNESCO-Earthen Architecture & Sustainable development, ICOMOS-ISCEAH and PROTERRA, and has the Institutional Support of the Portuguese Ministry of Culture and ICOMOS-Portugal. The Conference is also organised with the partnership of CRAterre-ENSAG, Polytechnic University of Valencia, University of Florence, University of Cagliari, Association Centro da Terra and Foundation Convento da Orada.
Abstract structure and format model of abstract available at:
- Theme 1: Materials and constructive techniques.
- Theme 2: Cultural heritage and building cultures.
- Theme 3: Territory and environmental adaptation.
- Theme 4: Energy efficiency and sustainable design.
- Theme 5: Natural hazards and risk mitigation.
- Theme 6: Education and research focus.
- To enhance the disciplinary scope and the state of the art of vernacular architecture research;
- To have a relevant contribution to knowledge regarding materials & constructive techniques, cultural heritage & building cultures, territory & environmental adaptation, energy efficiency & sustainable design, natural hazards & risk mitigation, education & research focus;
- To encourage academic and scientific research collaboration on vernacular architecture, while contributing to the improvement of the built environment.
- To contribute to sustainable development at national and international levels.
- To strength the exchange and discussion concerning the achievements learnt on the disciplinary area;
- To contribute to the reflection regarding which future for vernacular architecture in today’s world of rapid global change.
- To discuss internationally, the research focus needed to strengthen the scientific area;
- To establish methods and strategies to meet to respond to nowadays challenges.
Languages (with simultaneous interpretation):
English and Portuguese
Information available at:
Thank you in advance for the dissemination of the international conference.
Mariana Correia, President of Escola Superior Gallaecia (Coord.)
Gisle Jakhelln, President of ICOMOS-CIAV (co-Coord.)
CIAV2013 | 7ºATP | VerSus
Location: Escola Superior Gallaecia, www.esg.pt & www.esg.pt/ciesg
Address: Largo das Oliveiras, 4920-275 Vila Nova de Cerveira, PORTUGAL
Tel. (+351) 251 79 4054 (Cc: Arch. Gilberto Carlos and Dip. Sandra Rocha)
Fax (+351) 251 79 4055 (Cc: Arch. Gilberto Carlos and Dip. Sandra Rocha)
Download Vila Nova de Cerveira 2013 Flyer in Adobe Reader format.